Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Moving on...

Today was my last day of teaching kindergarten. A lot of you don't know that as well as being a photographer, I have also been a teacher. I am so amazed and so grateful that my photography business has taken off the way that it has and I am so excited to be able to take another step toward pursuing my passion. Tonight I watched my class perform their end of year program and watched them "graduate" from kindergarten. A cheesy tradition, I will admit, but there is definitely something powerful for me in sitting back watching my class as a group. I am so proud of them for how hard they have worked, that they are all reading so well, and that they have grown in the way they treat one another. As I got in my car to leave tonight, I cried as I realized that I'm not a teacher anymore. I have identified myself as that for so long. I know that it is incredibly exciting to be identified as a photographer and I am so excited to see what is in store for this new chapter of my life. But it is always hard to leave people that you love and a place that feels really comfortable. I know that the experiences and relationships I have made over the past 4 and a half years will continue to be a part of my life as I begin this new adventure.

6 comments:

Corey Nolen said...

you have been an incredible passion filled teacher, which is why i know this is going to be so hard. you are SO talented with photography and your passion for it is as much as anything i've ever seen you go after. i'm excited for you and love you very much. you have done a great job and i'm proud of you for all that you have accomplished. first night in about 6 mos. you went to bed before me.

Anonymous said...

As I am learning everyday, each new thing is hard!! But...God has walked behind, with you and ahead of you!!! I pray your new passion will be as successful as your teaching has been...you are an awesome individual with an awesome hubby!!! We love you!! We will miss you!!!!!! CHAR

Anonymous said...

Once you are a teacher you will always be a teacher.

Shea said...

JM told me about your site and I have loved being able to look at your pics! What a gift to be able to do something you're passionate about everyday!

Hershbine Family said...

Erin, we are so proud of you in all that you do... I am excited about this new chapter for you and a little sad myself, at the fact that you are no longer a "teacher", because I have always been able to relate and sympathize with you in that aspect. But know that you are making a wonderful decision to concentrate more on the photography. although you were an awesome teacher, you have a pure talent that amazes me all the time. I suppose the "teacher" in you is what captures the truest self in the children that you photograph, and that won't just go away, it is something, I am convinced, that certain people are just born with, and you are a natural. Good Luck and remember, you always have a beautiful neice that you can photograph or teach!! LOL! We love you!

Anonymous said...

erin- you are an amazing teacher, and always will be. you have loved so many kids so well and encouraged them in their giftings. i am so happy to see you taking this bold step toward your passion. love, keely