Wednesday, October 01, 2008

The Johnsons

This is my friend Lorie and her beautiful and amazing family.


The truth is that I really don't know Lorie well. We've only seen each other twice and both times were for photo sessions. I feel like I know her though. Lorie's just that kind of person. One of those with the rare gift of making you feel like one of her favorite friends (even though you know she's the kind of person that everyone wants to be friends with).

I don't really have words to describe her.
Or the experience of taking these pictures.

If I tried to describe Lorie, I'd start somewhere around here: strong, brave, real, faithful, beautiful, incredible. And if I tried to describe the experience of the photo shoot, it would be with this: "are you kidding me?" These were the words that I spoke as I approached the Johnsons on the Saturday of our session. The Saturday of our session that we had moved about 12 times due to Lorie's treatment and appointments in Houston. The Saturday of our session that we tried to time perfectly with the boys' naptime. The Saturday of our session that had been a picture perfect fall day filled with sunshine and a cool breeze. These were the words that I spoke as I crossed the street to where they were huddled under the one sheltered area IN.THE.POURING.DOWN.RAIN. It was truly unbelievable.


And you know what? I think it was probably the most fun, overwhelming, intense, crazy and important photo shoot that I have ever had. We had to try to find spots that were covered which meant that the boys had basically no space to run and play. Lorie and Daryl weren't planning on being in the pictures (like I wouldn't have made them be anyway) but were necessary for crowd control. Honestly, I wish I had a video of the whole event. I'm sure we looked completely insane chasing their cutest boys in the world all around town in the rain. The image below is the moment when we looked at each other as we realized just how hilarious the whole thing was. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard. If you know Lorie Johnson, her joy will surprise you, amaze you, and inspire you.

It is probably the most sincere and true joy I have ever seen in my life.



I really can't look at these last two images without tearing up. If you read this blog and if you pray, I am asking you to pray for Lorie and her family. Here is the link to her CaringBridge site and here is the link to the slideshow of our time together.

Lorie, you are a hero to me and I cannot wait to see what God is going to continue to do through your life!



2 comments:

Journada said...

What a beautiful tribute in photographs to a lovely family whose faith in the midst of such a trial brings hope to me in my own walk.

Thank you for sharing these beautiful, joyful, heart-wrenching pictures with us.

keely

Megan said...

I'm smiling through my tears! Beautiful. I love the dirty little feet and black eye - just screams little boys!

Megan